Monday, May 26, 2008

An Internship of My Own

I recently applied for and got offered an internship at a place called Pace e Bene. It is the nonviolence organization that my friend who did the Lutheran nonviolence training did. I got offered the job before the chaos of the weekend and I am planning on taking it. I just need to figure out how I want this to work, which I will be praying about this week while I have my own apartment. I got an email from the contextual education department at my school in which it basically said that my supervisor from my teaching parish site wants me to be in a different teaching parish placement. I wondered if this internship could get me OUT of my teaching parish by going on a deaconal ministry track. Some of it does have to do with my introversion where I really do want to have a private life outside the context of my work which I do not know how well it would translate over into some parish ministry settings. The other part of it that actually relates to my introversion is that when I am in settings that relate to something that I care deeply about I do not have to force myself to be more social. Whereas in settings that I do not have a point of identification with it is harder for me to be social. I do not really think that I am shy as much as the fact that I hate small talk really. Yet this gives me another sense of hope as well. I felt very much like I needed to be out of this particular parish. Suddenly my motive for this nonviolence internship has to do with the fact that I really want it and not that I want an out from this teaching parish. The question I am wrestling with is if I want to pursue this as my vocation or if I want to pursue this in addition to ordination. Prayers are requested right now...

No comments: