Sunday, March 9, 2008

Why Cant There Be More Than One of Me or A Crazy Morning at Teaching Parish...

This morning, as I was fighting with my alarm clock before heading to teaching parish, my phone rang. I generally try not to answer the phone as I am heading out the door, however when my cell phone started ringing something told me I should see what was going on. The other teaching parish student at Shepherd of the Hills had food poisioning and was supposed to teach sunday school today. The pastor was teaching the adults so guess who found out she was dealing with the kids today????

Then when it was time for the lesson for the day it became apparent that the lector didnt show up. When I realized that was going on, I ran up to read the lesson. I checked the bulletin to see what was up with that to notice that I was supposed to be ushering today. And the choir was singing today a piece that I had been rehearsing with them and I have one of the stronger alto voices. And one of the ushers big responsiblities was to take place during the same time the choir was singing. So I made sure that was covered. Fortunately a couple had jumped in and just started doing the task with no question before I even realized this was an issue. (I made sure to thank at least one of them for this after the service.)

Then when it was time for Sunday School, the kids were not acting overly disciplined which was hard to deal with. I think kids should have fun but I also think that they should also learn how to treat people with respect. But I figured out a way to keep it under control to the best of my ability without acting too strict. Then I realized I was missing something that I needed, it seriously only took me 30 seconds to get what I needed and but in that very short period of time, I lost about half of them to the playground with no hope of getting them back. Since there was an adult out there with them and I could see what was going on, I just continued with the kids that were there.

In going away from all of this, I could not help but laugh as this was supposed to be one of my less demanding Sundays. Yet it was also a point of clarification for me as I realized this: I do like kids. On one level, I dont mind it when people decide to have a family and generally am supportive of them. Its just that I do not feel enthusastic about ministries that are targeted specifically toward children or families. And this seems to be an area that Shepherd of the Hills really wants to expand in. The few ideas I have brought to my supervisor she has wanted me to find a way to make it accessible to kids and families.

I also realized I prefer teaching adult education. Its a very well educated crowd at that church, and I love how it intellectually stimulates me and how it opens up discussion for the experiences that adults have had. And I dont go home nearly as tired.

I sometimes find it difficult to come home after church as a single, childless person as I find it a source of grief and lonliness not to be a wife or a mother at this point in life, especially after church. However today was one of my days in which it was a huge releif that I had no one else that I needed to answer to after such an insane morning. I came home, heated up leftovers from my chinese meal the other day and watched my netflixed DVD of the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. (which i found enjoyable but not nearly as good as the BBC with Colin Firth.)Any and all illusions of getting any homework done for the rest of the day was seriously shot by the amount of emotional energy church took in the morning. This is a frequent mistake for a Sunday afternoon actually. But with this illusion shot and with all the places I had to be this morning I cant help but wonder: why cant there be more than one of me???

No comments: