Friday, March 21, 2008

Christian Seder

Thursday at my teaching parish we did a christian seder meal. It fits into the context of holy week. I enjoy seder meals. However I was surprised at how much of it was "christianized." I can not help but wonder if in the context of being respectful with religious pluralism if a faith community wanted to do such a thing if they would get more out of joining with a Jewish community on the actual day of the passover. Yet the thing is one can not force this too much if they are to be respectful of a communities practices as well. Still, where do we draw the line and have it sound like it is mocking the jewish tradtion and when are we respecting it? Yet it was nice to honor the meal that Jesus would have eaten before his death. And its always a good thing to have meals together in the context of christian community. Those are my brief musings on my maundy thursday (which I thought of as monday thursday as a child) seder meal.

No comments: