Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pass/Fail or Drop???

With much deliberation, I finally decided to drop my writing religious drama class. On one hand, it seems like a disappointment because it seemed like a good class. However I am going to do summer school and come back to the seminary for at least one class after doing my internship. So it didn't make sense to do five classes and my teaching parish for the sake of the way I can space things out a bit.

When I deliberated over what classes I may be willing to do pass/fail even if a lot of my peers in seminary like that option, I don't. My undergraduate grades were decent but because of various hits life gave me (pnuemonia, mono, depression) they werent as strong as they could have been. So if I wanted to go back to school to change careers laterhaving good grades in seminary will help me immensely for transcripts. If I decided to do phD work later pass/fail classes could hurt me.

Also in reflecting in doing pass/fail for Greek, I didn't necessarily put into it what I could have should I have done that class for a grade. So grades make me motivated to really master and understand material. Professors generaly have reasons for what they want you to do.

So dropping writing religious drama seems like a disappointment right now, but I now have my Fridays open to catch up on school and personal stuff--time I didnt have before. And I have more time for electives later, this is my last semester where I have a lot of prescribed classes for me to take any way. I'll have more freedom to do that kind of class later. Even though I am not thrilled about government loans, moving around alot and knowing people for short periods of time, the educational aspect of seminary generally doesnt seem long enough. What can I say? I love school!

2 comments:

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

I especially appreciate the line "Professors generally have reasons for what they want you to do." (!)
Let me know if you ever want to just talk about this over coffee sometime.

Michael Barham said...

I think it's good to want good grades, but remember to enjoy :)

mpb