Thursday, February 28, 2008

Clerical Collar Drama Part 2

Easter is coming around the corner sooner than I would think. And this adds a new aspect to my continuing struggle with the clerical collar: that Easter Sunday 'fresh' look. That was always the time that I thought of doing something new and fresh. And well, it posed a new dilemma in my requirement to be wearing a clerical collar. There isn't a whole lot of flexibility in what one can do for a fresh sunday look in needing to consider this.

To be honest, my real shopping preferences are for books and DVDs. And when I do buy clothes I tend to prefer shopping for shirts, dresses and skirts. Pants and shoes, well I only tend to buy those when I feel like I really have to. Clergy garb doesn't exactly strike me as my preferences either. However when I consider how a female pastor can take some fashion liberities, I identified these particular options: earrings, hair, nails and shoes. I have plenty of earrings and I dont like fussing alot with my hair, so although I am not a huge shoe shopper, I decided that a fabolous pair of shoes would not be a bad idea.

So when I was shopping at Target a few weeks ago, I picked up a cute pair of black heels that fit me that I was able to walk around the store quite nicely in. So I went ahead and bought them, and I tried them on again a day or two ago. They looked good however there was a consideration that I had not made: walking up and down steps. Although it did not seem like a huge problem walking down to the dorm kitchen, it wasn't the easiest thing to do.

Upon calling my once pastor turned professor mother who knows my medical history about what to do about shoes she helped me deliberate this out a bit. At the realization that I am lectoring on Easter, I suddenly had an image in my head of how my balance isn't always that great. I imagined myself falling down the steps at church while trying to look gracious and self confident. Images of spending yet another period of my life in a wheelchair due to a high heels incident did not strike me as the most ideal way to spend Easter. Well, maybe thats the worst case scenario but that is where my mind went. But the shoes ARE really cute, but maybe more appropriate for a fancy party or a nice date than for needing to walk up and down the stairs. So I made the decision to keep these shoes, but when I am doing my needed shopping this weekend looking for yet another pair of shoes that I can use on Easter.

My clerical collar saga continues....and this chapter I feel a little ecclesiastically blonde. I guess thats an improvement over my existential crisis...

No comments: