Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Loan Check Drama

I have had some difficulties with cashing my loan check this week as the name on the check happened to be my nickname, not my legal name. This caused me to do a lot of running around to make sure that funds didn't bounce. Stores were actually happy to take things off my check card and onto my credit card. (Bouncing actually costs them money too). This caused me to pay a cancelation fee for the loan check that originally was given to me in order to get a check reissued. Just when I thought I got everything resolved, apparently the check that was supposed to be cancelled got redeposited without my consent. Fortunately I called my bank and let them know about this. I dont want to get in trouble with my school. Nor am I overly happy with my bank right now. But that makes one more thing yet to resolve now. It will get done. It will get resolved.

I am a diligent student. I generally like to have my work for the next day done before I go to bed at night. I work ahead on papers and such. But all the time that I have put into this whole ordeal made me fall behind on my first week of classes worth of reading. By my personal standards, that means finishing off a reading assignment for class right before class. It makes me realize how difficult it really is to focus on things like studying when basic monetary needs absolutely have to be addressed. Everything else is secondary. Basic needs absolutely have to be addressed in order to be at peace exploring something spiritual or intellectual. Its probably not too shocking that this makes me think of some big picture justice issues, considering that I think I want to do inner city ministries at this point in time.

I also am amazed at the emotional maturity that I have come to. I have handled the whole situation quite level headedly which really has been a bit of a surprise to me. I didnt realize how level headed I really am. Maybe this is one of the ways in which the Holy Spirit has shown me that I have gone through a lot of personal transformation in the past few years!

2 comments:

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

Sounds like you have a lot going on...I wonder how these experiences will affect your ministering in the future, especially with young adults who may face smiliar financially stressful times.

Michael Barham said...

First week of semester always seems the roughest, things settling and so much dust still in the air!

Hang in there - I hope that you find your balance.

Peace, --