Sunday, April 19, 2009

Power

I am the one with the power.
I am the one with the power who choose whether or not I interact with a person on the street.
I am the one with the power to decide whether or not they seem like a safe or an unsafe person when I choose to interact with them.
I am the one with the power when I avoid a person in order to stay safe because my hunch tells me to.
I am the one with the power to give them money or to not give them money when someone asks for it.
I am the one with the power who decides not to give a person money when I have a hunch that they will use it for alcohol or drugs.
I am the one with the power who decides how much money to give to a person when they ask for it whether I give them a dime from my wallet or a dollar bill.
I am the one with the power who decides whether or not to give that money to a person or to walk down the street further to buy a beer for myself.
I am the one with the power to be able to go into the bookstore and buying something used and still have enough money to eat
I am the one with the power when I realize that I have limitations on how I can and can not help someone
I am the one with the power when I realize that we are all children of God regardless of how much or how little money we have.
I am the one with the power when I act out of love that does not care about economic status.
I am the one with the power when I ask God for forgiveness when I realize that I avoided someone else’s needs.
I am the one with the power.

1 comment:

I'm Always Laughing said...

I wrote this after writing an ethics paper on situations that we did and did not have power in. Thought you'd all be interested!