Sunday, April 6, 2008

7th Heaven: A Lutheran Perspective

Okay, here's the thing: I find that there is something I find appealing about the TV show 7th Heaven as this has been my netflix entertainment this past week or so. I do have to say this: that being in a pastors family relates to Seventh Heaven the same way that working in a hospital would relate to Greys Anatomy. Meaning that there is little reality in life in a pastors family in the whole TV show. However, they do have a dog named Happy and I remember having a dog named Happy in my parents first call. Other than that, there is no resemblence to that. My pastors family experience would probably be more like a "Friends" episode under the pressures of Lake Wobegon instead of New York with a musical theater motif and scenes from other various movies.

Studying the Book of Concord, which contains the confessions of the Lutheran church, I would say that I would be surprised if the family was lutheran. They are so concerned about doing the "right" thing. They do good things like bringing a homeless boy into the family and trying to instill a sense of personal responsiblity into the kids. However even though the setting is a pastors family, they often allude to God instead of actually talking about God's grace and forgiveness. There is more of a sense of taking responsibility for their own morality. Personal responsiblity for finances, trying to make sure that kids do not have sex outside of marriage, speaking the truth and having good family relations are some of the common themes I have come across in the season that I have been netflixing.

I think that the show probably was popular because it only alludes to God and church but never describes it explicity, making it popular for people who may not consider themselves christians but want more innocent entertainment. Yet the themes that the show uplifts do not contradict a lot of the messages from the christian right.

I dont necessarily think that I disagree with a lot of the principles that the show displays either, its just that my framework is a little different. I think that I would advocate more for Gods grace and forgiveness than the legalistic framework that the show has. I have been realizing a lot lately the contrast in what works for me now and what worked for me as a high school or college student is so different. And I think that some of the messages that the show comes across with I think pertain more to the morality that would be required in the context of being a kid or a parent, than that of a young adult trying to find their way in the world before being married or having kids.

So why does this show appeal to me then, a single adult who is a progressively minded Lutheran? I often go away from the show feeling like a basic respect for another human being is advocated more than when I sit down and watch an episode of Greys Anatomy or Sex in the City. I am not preaching against those shows as they are fun. But the underlying message of them tends to be more selfish as it is more concerned with the gratification of the self than in the context of the community. I also can say that I am a huge fan of Disney movies, older romantic comedies and "The Andy Griffith Show." I think that this show has more of that sense of innocent fun that I derive from the aforementioned shows. Really, in a sense its like a G rated soap opera as the kids get older. And while I would be more likely to talk about my interest in shows like Greys Anatomy in the context I am in now, as a pastor the reality is that the opposite is more likely to occur in which it could be more contextually appropriete to mention an interest in 7th Heaven then it would be to show an interest in Greys Antomy. Reminscent in how thrilled I was that I found that after taking Michael Rhodes class that I enjoyed his show "Christy". Its more relaxing to imagine myself in this setting for some reason than some of the shows that try to address the concerns of young adult life. Is it the escapism? Or is it the fact that things seem more clear cut in this world? Or is it the fact that in its own way the show uplifts a more simple lifestyle?

Yet this is only one of the many examples in which I am able to probably enjoy something that I think critically about. Thats just the life of my mind...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, 7th Heaven - great memories, roommie! :)

If you have a chance, you might try to watch the episode of Desperate Housewives that aired last night (April 13)- it should be available online. I don't often watch it, but in the episode, one of the storylines involved Lynette deciding to go to church, and then she embarrasses Bree by standing up and asking the pastor a question after he delivers his sermon. There are a few other interactions about it as well, and it's both entertaining and raises some interesting issues at the same time. I thought of you when I saw it though, since I know you like analyzing various forms of media in a theological context (as with 7th Heaven). Happy viewing! :)