Saturday, December 13, 2008

what the hell am i thinking???

I just turned in my last paper of the semester and I come into St. Paul on Tuesday! I am totally excited! However, I have a new major project in front of me: moving.

I am now moving from the dorms to the apartments. It is actually a little more expensive but I am ready for a change. The thing is that I have lived in the dorms for two years. I have had a difficult time finding a rhythmn that worked well for me to be honest. This summer in St. Paul I found a pattern that worked well for me: I shared a small apartment with my mother that was clean and simple. It was a nice place for me to work on my schoolwork on my own. In the evenings, I often went out with friends or had friends over. This was a rhythmn that I found that worked well for me. When I came back to Berkeley, I have had a very difficult time maintaining this kind of rhythmn. I have often felt like the going out on my own to escape the people I share a kitchen with and not really having space to have people over has been very difficult for me. I have had a hard time feeling like I am friends with the people that I live with. A lot of times when I am around it feels more like the way I need to behave on coffee hour at church then the way I want to behave in my home. While a certain level of respect and caution is not a bad thing regardless of where you are, I will admit that there is a certain level of comfort that I want in my own sense of home that I have not really been able to experience in sharing a space with people who are more like casual friends or people that I am merely trying to get a long with.

Honestly I had been feeling this way for a long time, but when the woman that I had a hard time living with my first semester in Berkeley moved in as my next door neighbor in the dorms, I started really thinking about making a change. After a lot of thought and many conversations, the decision for me to move to the apartments seemed like a good thing. And here's the thing: I will have my very own place as well.

I have never lived alone. And I think much of my life I never anticipated living alone. Finanically I am thinking what the hell am I doing. Also, I have noticed anytime I move somewhere new social anxieties seem to come up, but I always wind up being more than fine. Yet I realize that especially because I had hoped to be at Luther next semester, having a change in enviornment would be very good for me. I think that I am ready for a change. I am excited to live independently. However I am thinking what on earth am I doing by doing this?

I also realize that I have a lot to pack and such as well. Moving never comes at a good time, but I count my blessings that it is just a change of scenery as I have noticed that frequently moves tend to be associated with a change of job or a change of maritial status. I am not making any major adjustments in that regard, I am just feeling a little tired from the semesters end.

I just turned in my last paper for the semester, and now I am going to start moving my stuff from the dorm to the apartment! I am a little scared, but I am very excited. I think that this is going to be good for me!!! But I am also going: what the hell am i thinking as I am reflecting over everything as well...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Betsy,
This will be a great move for you. Living alone for the first time will be a growing experience, but unlike many growing experiences which are often painful, this one will be fun. Good luck with the move and may Peace be yours in the New Year and the New Home.
Love, Allan